21.3.13

Pixie play

First a bit of housekeeping, I am claiming my blog in Bloglovin!  I'm not going to pretend to understand why I have to do this!


 Follow my blog with Bloglovin


Despite not having a single WIP on my tiny little list even remotely likely to be finished for the FAL, I have found myself in a state of 'new quilt frenzy'.  The kinda project that gets stuck in your head and just will not go away until you make it.  That quilt frenzy came from seeing this free Craftsy course on how to make a pixelated quilt.

Trying to find a picture to use has taken me the best part of a week, but finally after an awful lot of auditioning I settled on this one from my MSc graduation.  This was taken back in 2005, when I was young, sans eye wrinkles and stress free ;-)


I cropped the picture down to just my left eye, changed the pixels to 32 x 32 and messed around with the saturation and contrast to get this...
Kona solids - Ash, Medium grey, Steel, Coal, Charcoal, Pepper, Teal, Cyan and Peacock
My eyes are quite grey/blue but I am using my artistic license and changing them to a more prettier colour ;-).  So out came my trusty Kona colour card from which I picked Kona Teal, Cyan and Peacock and six shades of grey (not fifty Charlotte!).  For the background I am using Kona Snow.

 The next step was building the chart in a spreadsheet to work as a guide for cutting/piecing.  Just need to calculate fabric yardage and get it ordered ASAP, because I really want to get on with this! 

24 comments:

  1. Your big eye quilt is going to look so cool!! It's fun seeing your grad photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that's going to be a fab quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have really pretty eyes! This is an awesome idea and I have just 'bought' (well it was free) the class - I would love to make my son a pixelated quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coo. But I am still laughing in a rather self mocking way that you were still young in 2005. Man, I wrinkled long before that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very cool. I'm glad I'm not the only one ignoring her FAL list too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's fab! And look how cute you are :-D
    Bloody children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so lookign forward to how this is going to turn out. you should take to kerry (pennydog) she's a whizz at the pixel quilts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab idea, can't wait to see this one come to life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool. Aren't you the clever one ; ) I added the blog lovin button to my sidebar, but what is claiming the blog about?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like loads of fun. No wonder you are excited about getting stuck in! Look forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fascinating process! It's all new to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you looking at me? But seriously, love the look of your pixelated eye, this will be fantastic :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is too cool! Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very clever. I love learning something new. And it's very nice to see a photo of you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this idea, can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cool project! Pixels seem to offer endless possibilities. But hey, no rainbow?? Maybe some gaudy 80's eyeshadow? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooo that will be neat! Is this a wall quilt? I think you should make it huge and put it on a guest bed just to freak people out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks so good and it will be a really cool project. Congrats on your MSc - I only have a BSc

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, how stunning will that be! Can't wait to see it develop. Think this could be a tutorial for the guild - how to design a pixelated quilt? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ps, you're still young, gorgeous and wrinkle-free......... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I love it! This is going to be brilliant!

    ReplyDelete