5.3.13

Warming up..

Tomorrow is when I finally get to try out those 11+" in a FMQ fest, quilting first the Scrappy rainbow quilt and then Space dust.  I have been drawing and drawing my designs, in the vain hope that my little brain will develop some sort of muscle memory. 

So today I put needle to fabric and practiced on a cushion cover that I was going to enter into this round of X-Factor Pillows, but decided wasn't round enough/good enough.

The block is from the 'Curve it up' QAL using the Quick curve ruler and I just turned the log cabin blocks so it became round(ish).  


I used two layers of cotton/bamboo mix wadding, to make the quilting stand out more.  Channelling my inner Angela Walters again, I practiced custom quilting the log cabin blocks with wavy lines, wishbones, pebbles etc.  Then I used the walking foot to quilt concentric circles around the border.

Quilting close up ;-)
I think I need to draw out the wishbones more as I struggled a little with remembering which way to go and kept having to turn them into wiggly lines.

Melody miller zippered back
Overall ,I am happy with how the cushion turned out and just hope that I can replicate the stitching on the Scrappy quilt!  Is it bad to have a glass of wine at 9.30am if it is a FMQ enhancer? ;-)

19 comments:

  1. isn't it a FMQ requirement? Love your cushion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it will help things flow more freely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cushion looks fab, love it! If the wine helps, it doesn't matter what time of day it is!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of your FMQ skills - your cushion is just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cushion! Hope you don't end up with a mid-morning wine headache ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a great cushion! The pebbles quilting is really making it. Glass of wine at 9.30am sounds good to me (probably because I have not drank anything for more than a year! ).

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beauty! I LOVE the colours x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your fmq is amazing!! Makes me want to try it :)

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a beautiful job, Kelly! I love that you turned the log cabin block around, and it looks great in a cushion! Good luck with your quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab! The pebbles quilting is really good too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab cushion - love the variety of your FMQ. Can't wait to see what you do with Space Dust! Where oh where did you get the new MM dishes so early you crafty miss? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! Those pebbles....love em

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I love this! What amazing quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your FMQ, I'm not sure whether you need the glass of wine, you seem to be doing fine without it, then again a glass of wine can't hurt can it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cool pillow. Your pebbles are perfect! love the pebble background too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your cushion! What cool quilting! And I really like how you rounded the edges of a squarish block!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol wine at 9:30am... that is a question I would have asked... :) I love your cushion!!!!! I am going to run off and make one right now! I think these are the perfect opportunity for practice... thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete