23.4.13

Pixel eye finish

Yesterday afternoon I spent a few hours stitching down the binding on what is my first finish of the FAL, which means Q2 won't be a complete failure - get in!!  This morning I took advantage of the sunny weather to get out in the in-laws garden and take some pics.

I am so chuffed with how this quilt has turned out,  mostly because it is the first quilt I have made since taking up sewing that I can say is all my own design.  From start to finish it is completely unique and that feels good to have accomplished.


I quilted it with a curved grid design which can only be described as 'very organic' as I only marked the first curve ;-)



For the back I used scraps of  all the Kona colours some more of my never ending supply of the Ikea number print.



This quilt is going up as a wall hanging above my bed where it can give my hubby a dirty look on a daily basis ;-).

If you fancy making your own Pixel quilt I can't recommend the Caro Sheriden free craftsy course enough.

Quilt stats:
Design: My own - made as a project after taking the Craftsy course 'Pictures to pixel quilts' by Caro Sheriden
Fabrics:  Kona solids - Snow, Ash, Medium grey, Steel, Coal, Charcoal, Pepper, Royal, Water and Caribean.
Backing: is a mix of the Kona solids and Ikea number print.
Binding:  Kona Steel
Quilting: Curved grid design using a walking foot on my Janome Horizon.
Size:  Approx 62" wide and 45" long.


36 comments:

  1. Wow, it's stunning! The first photo should win prizes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant. you rock! (I like your new header too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really gorgeous! Love the new look blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Sarah said. Plus I also like the inlaws' magnolias!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has turned out wonderfully! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo Hoo, It's awesome!! Fabulous photos too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the coolest quilts I have ever seen! Amazing! Rx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh get that in a quilt show. It is so amazing! Love it totally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely brilliant Kelly - it is as fabulous in pictures as it is in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever you! What a great finish. Your quilting is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is maxing! I love it! May take that course!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That came out great! Before it goes on your wall, you should hang it so it's covering a front window and facing the street (if that makes sense). I'll bet that would grab some attention. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You should be amazingly proud - it's absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stupendous! My laptop has died, but this merits my iPad comment of the evening! Xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is a triumph Kelly! And guaranteed to be unique. And an heirloom to boot! Love love love x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its amazing Kelly!!! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is amazing Kelly - really fab. Love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I spy with my little eye........
    Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  19. That pic in the garden with the flowers is priceless. I keep hearing the lyrics,"Someone is watching you" in my head :) . It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh it is beautiful and super cool. What a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love it! It's great to "freestyle" and make your own designs, especially when it's so successful, you obviously have an "eye" for it! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome quilt and great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous. I'm waiting for some of that number print from Ikea to arrive from the Uk with my parents. Though as they're in their 80s I shouldn't be disappointed if they don't get it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. looks fab, just got to find the time to try one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats on the finish! It is a beautiful quilt. I really like how the curved quilting looks with the eye! Love the backing too, especially how you you incorporated those solids from the front!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now get it entered in the sandown show! You've still got a few days and it would be fantastic to see it there.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Incredible quilt, stunning photos and fab new logo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Kelly! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. great quilt and I enjoy your quilt stats for your project!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is gorgeous, and the back is amazing too! I think I'd be torn on which side to display actually!

    ReplyDelete