5.11.13

Being 10!

My gorgeous niece just turned 10 which apparently means that she now only communicates in grunts, can barely lift her head from whatever gadget she happen to be playing on and walks at least 5 paces away from the adults at all times.

It also meant getting her own bedroom away from those pesky little sister's and needed a  new quilt for her new bed - this is where I came in!


I had a little rummage and came up with a non-rainbow theme ( which meant rainbow minus the red and orange) and made a(nother) plus quilt!


Wavy line quilting using #Aurifil (50 wt 2600 - light grey) for a bit of texture ...


 and backed with Robert Kaufman Spot on wide in Aqua (extra wide fabric - how I love thee!)
Look - no Ikea numbers fabric!!


Luckily she loved it when I handed it over on Saturday.  Who knew that the tweenager could actually smile! ;-)

Quilt stats:
Pattern - designed in EQ7 with 4" finished blocks (15*18 rows)
Fabrics - Various prints from stash
Binding - Architextures crosshatch in grey
Backing - Spot on wide in Aqua (Robert Kaufman)
Quilting -Wonky wavy lines using #Aurifil 50wt in grey (2600)
Size - Approx 60" x 72"

19 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, no wonder she loves it, I can hardly wait until my darling gets to the grunting stage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your fabric pull for this. Gorgeous quilt for a typical ten year old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you got it just right, Kelly! It's fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its lovely! You're description of a 10yr old made me both laugh and shudder in equal measure......I've only got a years and I'll be living with one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very beautiful quilt Kelly. Well done for getting a smile out of a tween without resorting to 1 Direction merchandise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, great finish. I remember what it was like to share and how great it was to get your own privacy :-) She will love it along with her new room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh this is really sweet and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really lovely, and the wavy line quilting adds the perfect texture. I'm sure your niece will love it for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great aunt you are. It is really beautiful and I love the wavy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a beautiful quilt .. sure she will LOVE it .. even if you just get GRUNTS of thanks xx my grandson is at the same stage!! ggggrrr! just have to wait for it to wear off a bit xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's fab, and you are making me giggle :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, I am glad you niece does too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorge. Fancy being my auntie?

    ReplyDelete
  14. its fabulous, no wonder it raised a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun quilt! I love the addition of the slightly kooky fabrics--the glasses and the skulls, and I adore the backing print. Such a great backing. I really like the choice to do the wavy lines on this quilt too--very effective! (As I recall, you did them on your Love quilt too, right? Also looked fab there too--I might have to give those a whirl one of these quilts!)

    ReplyDelete